Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Japanese characters

Never really noticed it before (and I've traveled through Japan) and it may only be my imagination... but doesn't the symbol for men look like a blockhead running?

I wonder what the radicals are that make it up. Or, maybe 'men' is a radical. I don't know. Apparently, reading Japanese is an incredibly difficult task; even for the Japanese. There are 3 "languages" and all of them can appear in a block of text at any given point.

I once met an American who had been living there for several years and studying the language for about a decade. He could interpret written Japanese but because it's not phonetic, to read it aloud to an audience correctly, he said, would be awkward, arduous, and most likely embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment